Disclaimer: I received compensation to review NOURISH: The Fit Woman’s Cookbook as part of a campaign with Lorna Jane Active and Fit Approach. All opinions within are my own.
“Be inspired to stop diet and start nourishing.”
What an amazing first line to read when checking out Lorna Jane’s latest cookbook. It resonated and made the recipes within so much more inviting. Confession: I read that long before I even had my hands on the book. I knew I would fall in love, I didn’t know just how right I was. Beautiful images of tantalizing food can be found in every food magazine, cookbook, and on most food blogs so there is no surprise that the imagery is extended into the pages of the latest Lorna Jane cookbook NOURISH. What may come as a surprise though (I know it did for me) is that it also comes with tips straight from Lorna Jane on how to find healthy eating habits, improve personal nutritional philosophies and life rituals by implementing some of strategies she uses. Yes please! <- See that? Another ‘just say YES’ moment! In a situation like this how could you go wrong? Let’s stop back though and talk Lorna Jane Clarkson for a moment. She is every Woman Crush Wednesday for me. First thing first: She’s the founder and CCO at Lorna Jane Active but it isn’t where she sits on the ladder that makes her an inspiration. Lorna Jane started from humble roots pulling together outfits for her friends before launching Lorna Jane Active. Her personal and brand motto is Move Nourish Believe offering the women who wear her brand a community full of energetic, encouraging women just like themselves!
Onto the real reason you’re here…I have been trying to find my optimal nutrition for a few years now. I’ve looked into every option, I know people in just about every realm, and, well, I haven’t found anything that “just works.” What I have found is that my body thrives with whole, natural food; It is less efficient with processed, greasy foods; and it does work for a treat every now and then. The amazing thing is that’s exactly how Lorna Jane found her balance. This cookbook takes real food, love of yourself, and a basic understanding of nutrition for the busy life and blends them beautifully.
- The amounts come in both metric and imperial. That’s nice for us US gals! I can convert but life is just so much easier when there no need!
- NOURISH brings you through an introduction to hydration, alkalinity, and digestion with explanations of how each helps your body thrive.
- There’s a seasonal eating section that lays out all the fruits and veggies that are in season around the year.
- Terms that may be new to you are explained. Who knew there was a second name for pumpkin seeds?!
- NOURISH has incredible photos – everything looks delicious!!
- There’s an honesty in this cookbook that is evident. I find that everything Lorna Jane tends to breathe this same honesty and I appreciate it. You can definitely see yourself making these meals in the time frame provided and for your family. Or at least I can, I don’t always find that in a cookbook.
- ‘Cook’s notes’ and Lorna Jane quotes keep you engaged and “listening” to the pages.
- There are ingredients you will be using that are not corner market ingredients. Mung beans as an example, we happen to be close to a Whole Foods but otherwise I would never have gotten my hands on them. Same with baby corn, Chinese broccoli (couldn’t find this but found a substitute at Whole Foods), and a few other things.
- Incongruent measurements. This one comes from the hubby and was noted as a “splitting hairs” find. Ingredients are measured both in imperial and metric (as noted above) but they weren’t always in the same order. Grams, cups vs cups, grams. Again, we were splitting hairs to find cons!!
Personally, I have cookbooks I cherish, most of them sent to me by family members and I have individual recipes mainly sent by my grandmother, all of which I do love. This cookbook is a much welcomed addition to the collection. I have the e-version of this cookbook and it’s 127 pages which is a great size for a “real” cookbook too. I LOVE how there aren’t only recipes but also ways to improve your life, inspiration, and teachable moments. We found the portions to be a little large but…that could have just been our miscalculations! The Mr. and I would definitely wear this cookbook thin if it were a hardcopy and will spend hours cooking with the laptop on the kitchen counter. Even though this cookbook was provided to me I would certainly have picked it up and bought it myself, if for nothing more than the wisdom between the recipes. The recipes? Just icing on a very fruitful cake!
Would I recommend it? I would, I have, and I will!
What’d we make? I had “pretty blog pictures” but I can’t find my camera! As soon as I find those pretty blog pictures I will make sure to update this post!! 🙂
Chicken and Mung Bean Meatloaf Muffins:
These were…particular. They’re a great muffin to grab as your running out the door any time of day. I grated everything (minus the beans) and I liked the smoother texture with a little bit of umph the beans provided. The hubby liked the flavor but thought they were a little dry. I suppose we’re all entitled to our opinions 😉 Also, we used ground turkey as we could not find ground chicken. We will be on the hunt for that later this week.
Tamari, Lime, and Sesame Beef and Broccoli Stir-fry
We both LOVED this stuff! It made plenty for the both of us to have seconds. I personally took mine without the meat; the hubby said the meat tasted out of place and next time we make it he’s going to keep everything cooking together for a more consistent taste.
Other things we’ve tried:
Breakfast Smoothie – killer; I will taking these babies to class with me!
Honey and Sesame Spirulina Balls – did someone say snack time?! These are the perfect excuse to add ENERGYbits too!
Things we will be trying:
Kumara and Peanut Butter Soup
Out-the-door Energy Bars
So many more!!
Another thing – I love to spend time in the kitchen but wasted time in the kitchen is not my favorite thing. The great thing is that she lets you know right up front if things need to be soaked overnight or will take extra prep time for whatever reason!
How about a chance to win a copy of Nourish The Fit Woman’s Cookbook?
Join @LornaJaneAcrtive for the #liveloveNOURISH initiative and you may be 1 of 10 winners to receive a hard copy of NOURISH. And, not only do you have a chance to win a copy of the cookbook, the most active participant will receive a cookbook and a $200 Gift Card to Lorna Jane!
It’s time to celebrate the #liveloveNOURISH lifestyle and the release of the new cook! Join the SweatPink Community and Lorna Jane on July 9th at 6PM PST / 9PM EST for a twitter party! Hashtags: #LiveLoveNOURISH #sweatpink #lornajane @LornaJaneActive @FitApproach
Invite your friends and family to join! The more the merrier!